Saturday, April 23, 2011

Rorschach

No, I'm not talking about the ink-blot tests that psychologists give you to pick your brain. For those who are complete non-nerds in every way, shape, and form, Rorschach is an awesome character originally featured in a little comic book called "Watchmen" and later it was made into a film. And no I'm not talking about the radioactive blue man who demanded your attention through most of the film because he was very conspicuously naked for most of the scenes he was in. Rorschach was this guy.
Now there's a guy who has a lot of issues. But can you really blame him though? He's the product of his abusive, prostitute mother and one of her "johns" and he really didn't get away from that home until he beat the shit out of two bullies, blinded one and bit a chunk of the other's cheek off. After that he was put in a home for "problem children" and didn't find his niche as an outlawed vigilante until he was in his late 20's. Part of what I love about Rorschach is his rebellious attitude. Even after a law is passed to stop all vigilante actions, the Keene Act, Rorschach just keeps right on going with finding bad guys and making them pay for what they've done. And that doesn't even count the fact that he's majorly anti-social and thinks that all people are inherently selfish (which I mostly agree with). In the film he's very intelligent and almost witty at times, which gives him some of the best lines, like the one in the poster, "This city is afraid of me. I've seen it's true face." He's got a thing for faces and masks. At one point in the film, his mask is taken away and the first thing he shouts is "Give me back my face!" It's epic.

3 comments:

  1. Sadly, I've never seen this movie. I've actually never been into movies that spawned from comic books. I saw the original spiderman... I guess I'm a bit of a failure in this department. I'll have to do my research from now on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Watchmen. And apparently there's a way to make a mask like his that actually changes shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must figure out how!!!! It would be the most epic thing ever!

    ReplyDelete