Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Music is Always the Answer

Just like everyone else undergrounders such as goths get depressed. No, it is not a permanent state of being for us, we have our good days too. Unfortunately for me, today was one of those days where I just wanted to stay curled up under the blankets in my dark bedroom and wish that the rest of the world didn't exist. And actually being out in the world didn't help that condition either, if anything it only exacerbated the problems. So being thoroughly depressed and wishing to become a full-time recluse, where is an undergrounder supposed to turn? To music of course.

Now the first song I always turn to when I'm having a bad day is one I've already mentioned before because it was also my first metal song. Anyone remember "Nymphetamine" by Cradle of Filth? You should, I featured it in one of my early blogs. But you can't just stick to one song when you're feeling like you should be below six feet under, so I've created a small playlist for those days.

1. Nymphetamine - Cradle of Filth
2. This S*it Will Fcuk You Up - Combichrist
3. The Game - Disturbed
4. Not Falling - Mudvayne
5. Lamia - Domina Noctis
6. Dreamer - Elysion
7. Cursive Eve - I:Scintilla
8. Zeichen Der Venus - Eisbrecher
9. Heaven's a Lie - Lacuna Coil
10. Lithium - Evanescence
11. Runaway - Linkin Park
12. Don't Touch the Flame - Lullacry
13. 197666 - Murderdolls
14. Save Us - Mushroomhead
15. Sinead - Within Temptation

Of course this isn't the full list that makes for my music fix to a bad day, but I figure it's a good start. If the songs don't at least make you feel understood they'll definitely make you laugh, like the Murderdolls song. What do you guys listen to in order to get yourself out of a funk?

5 comments:

  1. See, Rin? Sometimes I have good ideas for blog entries. lol I could tell you were having a rough day. I hope that letting a little bit of it out on your blog helped. I'm hoping that you also took my advice and drove around for a while listening to this awesome playlist of yours. That's what always helps me. You're strong, and you have your friends here for you. Hope you feel better, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to answer your final question, I have a playlist on my ipod called "Just let it out." It's kind of cheesy, I know, but it's full of all those songs that I can blast and sing my heart out to when I need to escape the world for a while. I feel like it's all I've been listening to lately. Why are our lives in shambles? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because it's the end of the semester? lol It's the only legit reason I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a legit reason. It makes perfect sense. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, a study just came out that had to do with depressed people listening to lots of music. The catch is they didn't bother looking into what came first: the depression or the music. I would say the depression, but the fact that they didn't look into it is going to send an odd message about people who constantly have headphones plugged in. Like me.

    ReplyDelete