Saturday, April 16, 2011

Another Lesson in Judgement

Being on the receiving end of a lot of biased judgments, I really cannot stress enough the overly used cliche of "don't judge a book by its cover." My friend Pat just recently retaught me that lesson and I figured it would be a fun exercise for the rest of the readers as well. Now just the other night, I was talking to Pat via AIM when he mentioned a particular singer. I'd never heard of this singer before so I started asking about him. Trent Tomlinson sounded interesting right off the bat mostly because I like the name Trent since it's unusual. Pat then decided to do me a favor and found a picture of Tomlinson for me... And I was not disappointed by what I saw...



Now my first reaction went something along the lines of "Hello hot goth/biker boy!" But right in the middle of my punk-rock-celebrity wedding fantasies, Pat decided to drop the bad news on me... Tomlinson is a country singer. Now anyone who knows me at all has heard of my utter hatred for country music. Well, the idea of someone who looks so much like a punk biker singing country was so at odds with my mental ideals that I chose to not believe him. He then decided to break my little black heart and showed me a music video of one of Tomlinson's songs...



I was very thoroughly crushed to say the least. But it gave me an excellent opportunity to once again remind not only abovegrounders but also undergrounders to never judge someone based solely on how they look. And this is also a good opportunity to teach the lesson of "Don't change who you are just to please others." Is Trent absolutely gorgeous? Why, yes he is completely AND absolutely gorgeous... But I still can't stand country... Sorry, Trent, it's not going to work.

5 comments:

  1. "break my little black heart" hahahahahah i love that phrase! your heart isn't all black though rin. I'm probably more dark and twisted than you inside. lol my life is a miserable black hole of depression lately. every time i see you, you're smiling. you've really made me understand the difference between a goth and an emo. you're the happiest alternative person i've ever met actually. you may hate me for this, but i appreciate some country. i don't appreciate how trent tomlinson looks like a gothic brett michaels, however. just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so amazing, it's like his voice does not match the way he looks at all! Pretty cool how you realize silly life lessons in the strangest places sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg. I just listened to the song, because I forgot to watch this video yesterday. I've heard this song a billion times, but I would've never associated it with someone like him. I feel like he should be in a bleach white suit, leather shoes, and huge cowboy hat while he sings this. There should also be little rosy-cheeked cherubs strumming mini harps as they fly around the room... just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely not what I expected to hear. That said, I love when people crush your expectations and judgments like that. It's neat, and a good reminder of lessons like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for dream-crushers!

    ReplyDelete