Monday, April 11, 2011

Nightwish


Since I promised in my last post to talk about the band Nightwish, here it comes. Believe it or not, Nightwish originates in Finland. Is it just me or does it seem like all the really good metal bands come from these really remote areas? Anyway... They got started up in 1996 thanks to their keyboardist, guitarist, and their former singer Tarja. Since then Tarja's been replaced by Anette Olzon. I mean, yeah, she does a good job, but there's nothing like Tarja's voice. She's currently putting out work as a solo singer so you can still enjoy it. Despite the rumors I hear that Tarja's a total bitch to work with, I want her back with Nightwish. They didn't get Anette until the release of their album Dark Passion Play, their sixth album out of seven. And they just recently released the news of their upcoming album that's going to be entitled Imaginarium. And Tarja's not the only replacement that the band has seen. Before anything happened with Anette, Sami Vänskä the bassist, was asked to leave the band and was replaced with Marco Hietala.
The band has seen so many different changes and their music has changed along with it. When Tarja left, plenty of fans decided to swear off of Nightwish forever due to their new singer. Personally I try to give the new members a chance before I write them off. I'll line up a couple samples, Nightwish with Tarja and Nightwish with Anette. Which do you like more?



5 comments:

  1. Always Finland with the metal bands. Kind of like how Sweden produces lots of pop, and England angsty post-punk (I refuse to call it emo, no matter how much eyeliner Robert Smith wears).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eyeliner does not an emo make lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may come across as a complete sellout here, but I have to bring up her similarities to Amy Lee of Evanescence. How does the underground feel about Evanescence by the way? Don't worry, I'm not one of those annoying people who only appreciated them when they blew up and made their appearances on the billboard hot 100 charts. If I could spend a day in Amy Lee's shoes, I would... which is weird, considering I hate shoes, so it surprises even myself that I would want to wear someone else's. I'm an idiot. I know. lol opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evanescence is accepted as an underground band despite its popularity. It's the same thing as Linkin Park and all the bands like that. We don't automatically hate things that are popular, just so long as they aren't stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know! I know how thin the line can be between accepting and rejecting a band in the underground from the things you've said. I wasn't sure if they would still be supported after achieving their mainstream popularity. It's a good thing they aren't stupid :)

    ReplyDelete