Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hellraiser



I figured since I'd already mentioned it in my last post, I might as well go into the details. Hellraiser is a film from the 80's about a young girl who's family gets mixed up in some weird multi-dimensional stuff. Her estranged uncle, a major player to put it lightly, finds a mysterious box and becomes obsessed with it. A few minutes into the movie shows him trying to open this puzzle-box and then very mysterious and very bloody images start crossing the screen. At this point no one's really sure what's going on, and no one really questions it until a couple moves into the husband's childhood home. It isn't until much later that the audience is introduced to a wonderful bunch of characters called the Cenobites. And their leader is the lovely gentleman you see to you're right named Pinhead. Good name, huh? And as a fun fact, the guy who plays Pinhead (Doug Bradley) throughout all of the Hellraiser sequels has said that he still gets fan mail from women wanting to carry Pinhead's little demon spawn. Considering the fact that Pinhead and all the other Cenobites have some freaky S&M things going for them, I can potentially see the appeal. Not to mention Pinhead's voice, he's got a really nice deep voice. Other than his screen debut, the Hellraiser series is actually based off a book called The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker. The book is basically the same as the first Hellraiser movie with only a few name changes. But if you don't check out the book, I highly recommend the film. If you know my stance on horror movies, then this one falls into that category very nicely. The effects are gritty and more memorable than modern-day horror flicks.

5 comments:

  1. I love Clive Barker! I actually have the first edition of The Thief of Always - if you haven't read it you should, even though it's technically a children's book. It's very similar to Coraline, if you've ever read or seen the movie. It's good stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to pick that up! I love the movie Coraline, the book was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hellraiser is one of my top favorite horror flicks. I've watched all 8 of them. Hellraiser in space was ridiculous though. I don't understand directors' obsessions with monsters in space. I love Barkers' world. Midnight Meattrain? Watch it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe that I have never seen this. I know I've seen this photo before, but I've never watched it. I like the phrase you used" "Little demon spawn." lol It seems confusing. Is it gory or suspenseful? It's probably both. Either way, I love horror movies, so bring it on. It appears as though it brings acupuncture to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I just added this to my Netflix. Either that, or I've been dreaming of adding it to my Netflix. I'm told by people who know my tastes in horror that I'll love it.

    ReplyDelete