Monday, March 21, 2011

Gothic Cartoon Characters

Unfortunately, these are a few-and-far-between occurrence. This being so, I figured I'd go and give credit to some of the cartoon shows that feature gothic or alternative characters. Feel free to add in more in the comments if I don't mention them.

First up is Gaz from one of my favorite shows "Invader Zim." Gaz is the delightfully dark sister of Dib, a big-headed kid who's all about the paranormal and is the only person who sees Zim for the alien that he is. In almost every episode that she's featured in, Gaz makes some threat or other towards her brother or Zim or just random annoying people who dare to cross her path. Although she never lets on that she knows about Zim, she doesn't seem to particularly care whether or not the human race gets destroyed in one of his horribly-planned schemes.

Next we have Sam, short for Samantha, from "Danny Phantom." And fun fact, not only is Sam the designated goth of the show, she is also the resident ultra-recyclo-vegetarian. On more than one occasion she fights with both Danny and Tucker over her eating habits and environment protection attitude. She's also very smart and well-informed. More often than not, she winds up spinning Danny and Tucker in circles from all the information she gathers about a situation. And she knows how to stand up for herself against even the bitchiest of the popular girls, Paulina, who everyone adores and admires.

Now we come to a character called Raven from the show "Teen Titans." You're not likely to find a more misunderstood character in any other cartoon series. Raven constantly struggles between her deeply instilled habits and her want for friends. Although some of the Titans like Robin and Starfire seem to "get" her more than others, her relationship with them still remains rocky due to her detached nature. Raven must constantly keep in control of her powers or else they will rage out of control with the slightest emotion.

For the finale, I'll stick with a classic character, Lydia from "Beetlejuice." This one girl is the only contact and potential friend the trickster Beetlejuice has in the world of the living. It's just as well for Lydia too since her parents don't even really understand her, much less her peers at her prestigious all-girls school. Much like Sam, she finds herself on the receiving end of ridicule thanks to the most popular girl in school. Normally, a session with Beetlejuice and all his mischief is enough to set things straight and get Lydia into a better mood.

6 comments:

  1. I love this! I never though of goth cartoons before, but you are totally right. And speaking of Beetlejuice (which was an awesome show!) you should do a Tim Burton blog post someday, all his movies are pretty strange in a gothy kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually planning on doing a creator spotlight on him later. I was just waiting so I could put some space between the Nightmare Before Christmas post and that lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Rachel on the Tim Burton suggestion. James and the Giant Peach! (Also, is it wrong that I think all Goth cartoon characters are adorable? Is being adorable completely anti-Goth? Is it insulting to a Goth-type person to tell him/her that his/her piercings, hair, clothes, tattoos are adorable? Etiquette advice here. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol not at all, in fact it's flattering for someone outside of the underground world to think you're cool or adorable when you're in full goth gear. It shows acceptance which we all appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I forget they had a Beetlejuice cartoon, even though I watched it all the time.

    And I agree to Tim Burton. And have to be the only person on the planet who has never seen James and the Giant Peach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, I've never seen the cartoon of Beetlejuice. When I think of it, I always picture the movie version. Invader Zim will always be the best. hands down. I'm also on bored with the Tim Burton post. He is absolutely amazing. Weird fact about me, I have an OBSESSION with Helena Bonham Carter. She and Tim Burton are my favorite Hollywood couple actually. Surprising, I know, since I live in a world of pastels and bubble gum. (not really) She's my favorite actress. Please do a post about them. I want to be Bellatrix Lestrange for Halloween every year, and I tell myself everyday that I was meant to play Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd, but I'd channel her energy to do it. lol I'm weird, I know, but I'm obsessed with them.

    ReplyDelete