Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Annabel Lee Tavern



This seemed an appropriate topic to blog about since I was just at this place last night in Baltimore. Yup, that's right, Baltimore. This tavern is all Edgar Allen Poe themed, and it does a damn good job of it too. Their food is nothing short of amazing and I love the names of their specialty drinks. I had one called "The Raven." Oh, was it good. And you know what made it even better? The drink was actually black. No lie. I took a picture of it (it was too dark in the tavern to see it clearly) and it was pitch black. I'm not sure if they colored it or what but it was awesome. They had the best ribs and quesadillas I've ever tasted. The meat fell right off the bone for the ribs and all the veggies were so fresh and tasty. They have pictures of ravens all over the place and the door is painted with a part of the "Annabel Lee" poem on it and so does the back wall. We got to sit in this little alcove where they had actual lanterns in the windows, a red satin curtain behind us, and a candle on the table. And to top it all off, there's a big drawing of Poe himself with a toy raven perched in top of it front and center on the back wall. As if that wasn't enough, there's a performer who comes and dresses in full Poe garb and reads his works out loud. We didn't get to see him because he normally only comes on Poe's birthday or deathday but oh well. The place is cool as hell. If you ever get the chance to go, take it. The food's amazing, the atmosphere is eerie, and the staff are great.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely want to check this place out someday. Maybe when I'm on my way through Maryland for a race, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edgar Allen Poe = AMAZING.
    I would love to see this place! You'll have to go back when you know you'll get to experience the guy dressed in Poe garb. I love that you said the atmosphere is eerie. Perfect description. Take me with you when you visit again! We can collaborate on my travel blog! lol

    ReplyDelete