Monday, October 1, 2012

Coming Soon to Theaters: Sinister

I am not looking forward to this particular horror film. Anyone who has read this blog since its creation or read back to the older posts, knows that most modern horror films have not been able to satisfy me as far as entertainment goes. This is mostly because most modern horror films rely on quick starts and jumps in order to scare an audience, rather than building up to a sense of lingering dread. Not to mention the special effects just don't do anything for me. When I can watch a horror movie from the 80's and feel nauseous because of the gore in it, then you know you're going a good job. Today's gore... LAME! Don't get me wrong, there were modern horror movies that did scare the ever-living crap out of me. The first Paranormal Activity freaked me the hell out, the rest of them... Not so much.

I've got a whole new gripe with the horror movie that I see advertised literally everywhere. This one is called Sinister. From what I'm gathering, a writer moves his family into a new home where there have been multiple murders reported. Several families have all lived and died in this house. Stop the script right there. If MULTIPLE families have died in a house, why in the hell would you decide to try and make this your dream home in the first place?! Forget haunting, how do you know that some psychopath doesn't stake the house out and manage to get away with the crimes? Anyway... The writer finds old home movies from one of the families. The more he watches, the more he starts seeing this "creepy" figure in the photos and movies. It turns out this character is a demon who feeds on human children. Stop yet again. If the demon feeds on children, why did the WHOLE family get killed every time? Anyway... Supposedly the photos and movies act as some sort of gateway that let's the demon in, and once he gets in, you can't get him out.

Now besides the two reasons I've already stated, there's one really huge thing that is just pissing me off / confusing the hell out of me. Take a look at this "demon" in the trailer...


You know what I think that "demon" looks a lot like?

                                         -------------->
                                         -------------->
                                         -------------->            

Yeah, I think it looks like one of Corey Taylor's old mask from Slipknot. Thus the creepy level on this one instantly gets tuned down and makes me want to start headbanging rather than hide under the blankets. I just know if I watch this movie, every time the demon gets screen time, I'm just going to point at the screen and say "Look! It's Corey Taylor!" and see how many people in the audience will get it...

No comments:

Post a Comment