Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

This post is going to disappoint a lot of people and frustrate a lot more, and for that I apologize ahead of time. For those of you who haven't kept up with my blog, I already expressed my initial... let's say distaste, for the fact that a movie I loved was being remade for American audiences. And I'm not going to lie, it really started to irk me that the main defense for the movie came from the fact that it was being directed by David Fincher. Is he a brilliant director? Yes. Are his films usually amazing and gritty beyond all expectation? Yes. BUT previous work means nothing in an industry where a director can crash and burn his own career into ashes (-cough- M. Night Shyamalan -cough-) within the span of about two films. And after hearing "But it's directed by David fucking Fincher" so many times I nearly wrote off seeing the thing entirely out of pure spite. After much deliberation, I decided that I would go to see it in theaters, if for no other reason than to prove that I had grounds for disliking the remake. Then I happened upon an eight-minute clip of the movie that was released about a month ago. I figured I might as well watch it to get a good taste of what was in store for me. Believe it or not, that one little clip actually gave me some hope for the film. At the end of it I was sitting there and thinking to myself, "Well that looks pretty damn good, Mr. Fincher."   So when I took a look at my phone when searching for movies for me and Pat to go see today, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo immediately caught my attention. Once I had confirmation for approval and the time, we were all set to go see it. The opening credits kind of confused the hell out of me, not going to lie. It looked like some kind of weird techno music video, soundtrack was kick ass though. The rest of the movie was pretty intense. And I don't mean a gradual build-up and then intense moments, the whole thing is intense, it varies in severity. But honestly, I don't really know what to make of it. The plot varies in some pretty significant ways in certain areas so I can't really treat it as a genuine remake, but its still stuck in my mind as such. I'm going to have to watch it again and give a better review after the second viewing... Sorry guys.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked it. I want to read the book, but my cousin borrow my copy, didn't give it back, was a huge douche to me, and moved to California.

    ReplyDelete