Thursday, December 1, 2011

Everyone has a Secret Nerd

Now whether people like to admit it or not, everyone has something they do that would safely fall into the category of nerdy. Deny it all you like, you know it's true. Now my main question to the vast majority of society about these nerdy habits follows as thus: Why the hell is it such a big deal? When The Lord of the Rings trilogy was released about ten years ago (dear gods I feel old now) I got so obsessed with it that I started wearing my hair like Legolas. I'm being completely serious. My hair was really, really long and I had the side-braids and everything. I can almost guarantee that I was mocked for that and more when I was in junior high. And to be honest, I didn't give a fuck, except for maybe that one time when a little douche named Howie decided to embarrass me in front of the guy I was crushing on at the time while I was talking to him. Anyway... back to my point. Why these nerdy things that we do have to be a big secret? Granted some of the stranger crowds not only have no problem in accepting these weird things that their friends might do, but they are also completely comfortable in admitting to their own nerdy tendencies. I mean, come on, I still get crushes on fictional characters, most of them anime characters (L and Sebastian Michaelis make me swoon). Seriously people, if you really feel the need to go and tease your friend all because he decided to read The Flash comic book, you need to get over yourself. I can guarantee there's some kind of proverbial skeleton in your own closet that you wouldn't like anyone to know about. Lesson: Being nerdy can be fun, and everyone has their own secret nerd, so rejoice in it and live life.

1 comment:

  1. My problem with making fun of nerds is what's so funny about putting down someone else's interests for your own entertainment? Plus in my experience, in certain crowds, some nerdy things are unacceptable from some but welcome from others.

    ReplyDelete