Thursday, February 17, 2011

Vampires Don't Sparkle!!!!!


I felt the overwhelming urge to finally do this post from reading the "Mark Reads Twilight Blog" (thank you Janelle :D) Yes, I am one of those people who has nothing but complete and utter disdain for everything Twilight, if you couldn't tell from my previous blog raging about how Twilight has taken over Hot Topic and turned it into a center for posers. Oh, wait, I didn't mention that part of my rant... Oh, well, here it is now. And before any die-hard Twilight fans read this any further; I have read all the books, I have seen two of the movies, and I read the books before the series EVER GOT POPULAR. I read the very first book when I was a sophomore in high school. For those who don't want to do the math from viewing my age on my profile, that was over 4 years ago.
Thus, I will start out this rant with the very obvious note that VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE. I have never heard of anything so utterly ridiculous and embarrassing in relation to something that is supposed to be sinister, seductive, and anti-social. Do you see the problem already? Please tell me you do. Vampires don't like people unless they are sucking the very life out of them through their jugular. They do not stalk people unless they plan to eat them. If you want to see how a proper vampire acts, then go and read any of the following:
1) Anne Rice - The Vampire Chronicles
2) Bram Stoker - Dracula
3) Stephen King - Salem's Lot
4) Charlie Huston - Joe Pitt Series
For my second point, it isn't so much the books and movies that irritate me (although the movies are completely horrible no matter which way you look at it) but the fan-base that has sprung up around them. Most of these people are NUTS. Just by doing a google search on the internet you find stories about non-fans getting attacked just for saying they don't like the series. True some of these stories are fake, but plenty of them are truth. Unfortunately, the main page where you could find all of these stories has been shut down. These people seriously need to get a life if they get so obsessive about a book with fictional characters that they feel the need to attack and physically hurt those who have valid reasons for not being dangerously obsessed with it.
Now there was a time when I did like the series. But this was also when I was a hormonal teenager in high school and didn't have a real concept about good fiction or literature. Anything that had a half-assed plotline could get my attention along with vacuous characters that were nonetheless head-over-heels in love with each other despite a mound of reasons why they can't. I can't wait until this fad finally dies and rots away in its grave.

4 comments:

  1. The best websites are the ones about wives who have destroyed their marriages because their husbands aren't Edward Cullen. They are sad they don't dump them in the middle of the woods, alone, and constantly put their lives in danger...I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what Rachel's talking about. I dream of being dumped and left in the middle of the woods, despite the fact that, like Bella, there's a solid chance I'll die.

    Not only do vampires not sparkle, but they also don't make babies. Don't get me started. Anne Rice tackled that issue. I have yet to finish Dracula. Meanwhile, my only complaint about Salem's Lot is the fact that it felt like it took Stephen King forever to really get things moving, and then they did a movie adaptation with Rob Lowe where he lets his lady live. Come on. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and slay your blood-sucking significant other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say that I thoroughly enjoy how angry you are?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For vampires that don't sparkle, I highly recommend Modern Marvels - Viktoriana. A real Gothic horror novel.

    ReplyDelete