Sunday, February 13, 2011

Black Swan

Don't let the name of this movie fool you, this is the creepiest non-horror movie ever. This being so, I feel obliged to dedicate a blog to it and give a standing ovation to Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis (the voice of Meg Griffin from Family Guy). I just saw this for the second time on Thursday night and it was just as good the second time around. This "drama" film has more cringe-inducing moments than the vast majority of horror films that have come out recently.
Essentially the idea of the movie is a rising ballerina, Nina (Portman) is anxious to have her career progress. Her opportunity comes when her director decides to redo Swan Lake. The biggest challenge he can present to all the ballerinas is a double-role. Whoever is chosen for the lead role must be able to embody the pure and fragile White Swan as well as her evil and lustful twin the Black Swan. When Nina is chosen to portray both she is ecstatic, easily able to portray the virginal White Swan. But the pressure starts to build when she has trouble channeling the Black Swan and another ballerina, Lily (Kunis), catches the director's eye for the role of the Black Swan. Between her overbearing mother and the need to step out of her comfort zone, Nina's mind begins to collapse.
Trust me, see it once and you'll never forget it, partially because of a hot little scene between Nina and Lily, but I'm not going to give away the details. You'll just have to wait and see for yourself.

3 comments:

  1. I want to see this sooo much!
    Unfortunately, all of my friends suck. They're all afraid of stuff like this, so no one would go with me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww lame. Tell them there's no outright blood guts and gore if that helps at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ending was insane. So was that scene you're referring to.

    It creeped my boyfriend out. I was fine. Story of my life.

    ReplyDelete