Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bod Mods

For those not in the know, "bod mod" is short for body modification, a cornerstone of the underground world. Bod mods can come in a variety of types. Now under the "normal" definition of the term, it can mean something as simple as getting your ears pierced. But to under-grounders this can mean anything from tattoos to piercings to scarification to branding. Most bod mods aren't meant to act as attention-grabbers, although they always get someone's attention. Instead, bod mods are the main way under-grounders like to express themselves and can even help to make them feel more comfortable in their own skin. I speak from experience on this.

Tattoos - These are self-explanatory for anyone who lived in the twentieth century. Ink of various colors are injected into the skin via fast-moving needles. It can be relatively painful depending on where the tattoo is. In my experience (five tattoos) the most painful place I've had tattooed is my upper back. Between the spine, the ribs, and the shoulder blades it doesn't make for a very pleasant experience, but the result was so worth it (see picture above). And for all the people asking "How can you do that to yourself?" the answer is simple. If you take care of a tattoo correctly, which can take up to two weeks of constant care, by the time it's healed it feels like you've had it all your life and it fully becomes a part of you and not just your skin. Not to mention they are completely addicting, thus the reason why I've gotten five within a span of three years.

Piercings - Yet again a pretty straightforward bod mod. A long needle gets stuck through your ears, tongue, lip, nose, or wherever else you might want one, and a ring is slipped through it (rings are preferable since they're easier to clean and less prone to infections). Then the healing time varies depending on where the piercing is. For a full list of rough healing times you can go here. Keep in mind healing times depend on how well you take care of the piercing. For pretty much any piercing, I recommend a product called H2Ocean. It's a premixed formula of salt water (the best option to keep new piercings clean without irritating it) in a convenient spray canister and can even be used on oral piercings.

Scarification - This is one of the lesser-known bod mods. Again, it's a simple idea, just a little more cringe-worthy, even for me. The basic idea is to make a deep enough mark in the skin so that it leaves a scar in a designated style. This isn't nearly as predictable as tattoos or piercings just because of all the different factors there are, like skin thickness. For more info i recommend this page.

Branding - This goes along with the scarification and it's applied exactly how you think it supposed to be. A mark is burned into your skin. This is one that I personally wouldn't try, just because I don't like extreme heat or cold (yeah, it can be done with extreme cold too). If you want to get more extensive check out this page.

6 comments:

  1. I love this post, especially since I plan on doing a "car theme" tattoo post in the near future! Scarification was always a little extreme in my opinion, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of want to try it, but definitely not with branding. I know in this tribal village they take a sharp hook and hook it under your skin to create a series of bumps in a pattern which looks painful but the result looks pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Scarification was not what I expected it to be. I expected the actual scarring part, but I didn't expect it to turn out looking the way it does on the link you provided. It's kind of like a tattoo without ink. I could never do the branding thing. It makes me think of cows, and it sounds scary. I'm getting a tattoo around the 22nd, actually. It's going to be my 21st birthday. Since I've never had alcohol before, and I plan on never drinking in my life, my first tattoo is going to be my gift to myself for 21 years of sobriety. I was wondering if you could give me suggestions on where to go. Where did you get yours done? They're amazing. Also, I've always wanted to know more about those body modifications that look like skin implants. They are raised areas of skin in different designs when they're finished. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I don't know if I would never get one, but I'd like to learn more about how they're done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I normally go to Ink-N-At down in Penn Hills, but I recently started going to a place called Up in Arms. They're all the way out in Imperial though, but the guys do awesome work. Yea, those implants are a lil freaky. Lizard man got a bunch of them put around his eyebrows to look more lizard-like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever heard of that Mantis place in Latrobe? I've tried to do some research, but there isn't much online. I've gotten a lot of suggestions for some place in the South Side. I have to decide on a place soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to Mantis before and they're kind of overpriced. And I think you're talking about South Side Tattoo. I go to them for my piercings but again, little pricey for tats.

    ReplyDelete