Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Creator Spotlight: Jhonen Vasquez



Knowledge of the alternative/underground lifestyle would not be complete without mentioning Jhonen Vasquez. Creator of comics like Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and Squee as well as the animated series Invader Zim. Some of you may remember the show from when you were kids and watched Nickelodeon. Unfortunately, due to arguments between Vasquez and the producers of the T.V. station, Invader Zim was canceled after only one season. The repeats of the show are still viewing on the Nicktoons channel. Johnny the Homicidal Maniac (JTHM for short) is an older comic series that is still highly popular. Johnny, the main character, is your typical brooding goth who hates people and is under the impression that there is a monster living behind the wall of his house. In order to placate this monster he must continually paint the wall with blood. In the end it turns out that this isn't just some crazy hallucination. Squee, on the other hand, is a young kid who originates in the JTHM series. His parents generally ignore him and the only person who looks out for him at all is Johnny, even though he's is scared of Johnny beyond all belief. I would highly recommend taking a look at all three of Vasquez's creations. While some bits of them might be off-the-wall and gross, there's plenty of entertainment to be found in their oddities and there's a surprising amount of wit in JTHM for a comic about a psychopathic young adult.

5 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with Invader Zim. Luckily, it's still showing in re-runs.

    Victory! Victory for Zim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always did like Jhonen. I think I still have a stuffed Gir in my room at home.

    Plus he has a really cool name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that Invader Zim was cancelled after only one season! I feel like I've seen so many episodes that it went on forever. Also, the guy painting his wall with blood is terrifying. It makes me think of the Salad Fingers videos on youtube. If you haven't seen them, check them out. Although, I'm sure you have. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Salad Fingers haha. Yeah, if you ever read JTHM you wind up feeling really bad for him though.

    ReplyDelete