Sunday, September 23, 2012

The New Modification: Bagelheads

As I sit here writing this, I'm watching the newest episode on one of my favorite shows called Taboo. Basically, the show goes over several taboo acts or whatnot all over the world and tonight's episode is about "Extreme Bodies." They started out with the usual suspects, mostly dealing with people who are pierced and tattooed. But now they've moved into a modification that I've never, ever heard of. It's called a Bagelhead, and it's becoming a craze in Japan. I just tried looking it up on Wikipedia, and there isn't even a page for it yet, just to give you some idea of just how new it is. From what I can gather on the show, they take a needle and inject saline into your forehead, but it must be close to the surface to get a result like they're showing. Once they're done with that, the piercer takes their thumb and presses down on the center of the swelling of the saline to make an indent. The result is looking like you have a little bagel under your skin. Honestly, looking at it kind of gives me a headache. Take a look...


Ok, I find this to be kind of cheating as far as modifications go, strictly speaking. After about 16 hours, your body just absorbs the saline and there's no trace of the bagelhead at all... Can you really call it a modification if it doesn't stick? Either way, I think it looks kind of ridiculous. 

Granted it's not as bad as when I first heard about Achilles Piercings a few months ago. For as much as the Bagelhead gives me a headache, the Achilles just makes me cringe. I can't stand in horror movies when people get their achilles tendon cut, it kills me every time. I mean, just one wrong move and you lose the use of your entire foot with this one. Granted, I think it would be cute, but I'd have to work up way too much courage and probably need some major sedatives in my system to get it done personally. Not to mention I'd have to find a piercer who's done it a shit-ton of times just so I knew I could trust them to do it and not leave me lame....

No comments:

Post a Comment