Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Song and a Movie

Today's been particularly dreary for me, not sure if the weather has anything to do with it but either way, I've been in a major funk since I woke up. First thing that I've found that's been helping me is "Rosenrot" by Rammstein. Not entirely sure why that song's been helping my mood but when I was driving around and it came on I felt better. Here's a sample of it if you wanted to listen...


Yet again, no idea why this helped but it did.

Second thing that helped was picking up the movie The Hunger Games. I only saw this movie once when it was in theaters, but I really liked it. Despite the fact that I wasn't in the greatest mood when I first saw it either, I was still able to enjoy it. It kind of reminded me of a more sophisticated version of Battle Royale. Slightly different premise to the whole "make young adults fight to the death" thing. BR (Battle Royale) the game came out of the younger populace of Japan rebelling against the adults and doing whatever they wanted, an entire class is chosen by special lottery, they don't get training, they're just thrown into the battle on some deserted island. Whereas HG (Hunger Games) comes out of the slightly typical clash of different social classes, lower class separated into different districts, a boy and a girl are chosen from each, they receive counseling and training, etc. etc.
I think I have a preference for HG mostly because it has a slightly more developed story line that obviously continues on once the movie is over (I'm currently waiting in anticipation for the next installment). It still has the action and blood and guts fighting that I love for action movies but has the lovely little underlying issue of the social classes being so at odds with each other and having one of the most uneasy truces I've ever seen portrayed in entertainment. I've never read the books, but due to my finances it's probably going to be quite a while before I'm able to get to them.
Either way, here's hoping I'll eventually get into a better mood, preferably before I have to go into work tomorrow morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment