Monday, August 1, 2011

Diseases Get Supersized


Yet again about a subject that has been on the market for a while now but I was skipping along thinkgeek.com and I just had to go and do this post as an extension of my "alternative toys" post. Now these ones are called Giant Microbes and I have no shame whatsoever in saying that not only do I own their version of the ovum plushie, but I've also given my dad a "petri dish" of their lyme disease plush. Long story short, these things are what you would see if you looked at their microscopic counterparts, minus the fuzziness and the eyes and a couple of other added details depending on which microbe you want. And their creators pulled out all the stops with these guys, you can get everything from a simple little sperm to the mother of all viruses MRSA to cuddle with. And they're still adding more into the mix, the most recent microbes to join the family are the stem cell, food poisoning, and diarrhea. Now you can buy them in bigger sizes or you can get the "petri dish" deal I mentioned before and get three mini giant microbes. And on the giant microbe official site, there's plenty to keep you looking around for a while. In fact, they've come out with so many microbes, they've had to separate them into their own categories depending on what kind of microbe it is. When my dad actually caught lyme disease, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get him the plushies in the petri dish for Christmas. A bad joke I know but that's our sense of humor. I'm sure that if I ever caught one of these disease he'd probably do the same. Nonetheless these things are ridiculously cute for how lethal some of their tiny counterparts are.

2 comments: