Thursday, August 11, 2011

Living Dead Dolls



I'm not entirely sure how these little darlings managed to escape my notice. In fact, I'm tempted to feel ashamed of myself for not including them earlier considering I've wanted to start collecting them since I was about 16. Living Dead Dolls can be considered the Goth/horror alternative to those nicely packaged Barbie collectibles I made fun of before. They have 21 different series of the dolls in total and each series has between five and seven dolls for you to enjoy or get terrified of depending on how you feel. And don't get me wrong, some of these dolls even freak ME out. Yeah... imagine that. You can find all of the dolls in every series on their official site. The site's pretty interactive, like the Little Apple Doll and Vamplets sites. So far one of my favorite dolls comes from series 17 called "The Unwilling Donor" (on the right). I know she looks sad but it's just so cute especially with her little robe and everything. And what's even better is that each doll comes with their own specific poem that describes how they died. For Donor it goes something like this...
Her mother always told her
"Never accept a drink!"
However this little rebel
Was not one to think.
So off to the strange party
Did this foolish girl run
With visions of laughter
And way too much fun.
The next morning she awoke
Buried in a tub full of ice.
Missing one kidney
One hell of a price.

Isn't that so cute and horrifying at the same time? They've even done a series specifically for things like Alice in Wonderland, House of 1000 Corpses, Saw, Beetlejuice, Friday 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and have a set of dolls fashioned to look like Edgar Allen Poe and Annabel Lee. The Poe and Annabel set was actually what initially drew me to the dolls. They just look adorable together. Go on over and give these a look if I haven't already scared you too much with them. Unfortunately, the only place I've ever seen selling them is Spencer's gifts, but there's always the good old standby for the site and Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment