Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Crow... The Series?


So I came across an interesting find today while being my usual reclusive self, sitting in my room with the blinds closed and flipping through channels. As I'm clicking, I see a familiar title... The Crow. Now of course I'm thinking of the film where Brandon Lee plays the incredibly talented (and incredibly good-looking) musician Eric Draven who gets killed along with his fiancee thanks to some local gang-bangers on a mission from the boss (Michael Wincott). Instead of staying dead like he's supposed to, Eric comes back with the help of a crow to take revenge on everyone. A little bit later he gets some help from the still living, a girl named Sarah and Detective Albrecht. He eventually kills all the bad guys and gets to return to the land of the dead and be reunited with his love.
Well the series seems to be taking it one step further in addition to adding its own subtitle. The Crow: Stairway to Heaven tells essentially the same story, except that Eric doesn't get the pleasure of going back to being dead. Instead he has to stick around and dispose of all the other baddies lurking around the city. From what I can see of the episode so far, its trying to just draw out the inevitable conclusion that Eric has to go back to being dead at some point. The lines are witty and snappy, but just a tad overdone. And Eric doesn't apply his own makeup, it magically appears when he has to go all vigilante and it looks like he has to do some sort of ritual to bring on the undead powers he possesses. It's not horrible, but its nothing to set the DVR to either. But hey, at least they got a guy who sort of looked like Brandon Lee to take the main role.

2 comments:

  1. I love the original movie. A lot. I used to have a little pin that had a still from the movie of Eric & his fiance together, it fell off my purse one day, & I was devastated.

    At this point, there are so many Crow movies it's ridiculous. I'm told one of them is actually really good but most aren't. I just pretend they don't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here except for the City of Lost Angels one because at least it still has Sarah in it to continue the story.

    ReplyDelete