Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Bod Mod Double-Standard

As many of you know, in addition to being a goth/punk/metalhead I am also a furry. If you missed what all that entails, I explain it in an older post. And in order to complete my look I was looking for ways to make my eyes look bigger for that wide-eyed kitten look. When I mentioned this to my boyfriend, he suggested that I look up the Living Barbie Doll and Living Anime Girl. My first reaction was... um, what's that? Well...


And before you say anything... Yes, those are real people and not dolls or Gaia characters or anything like that. The only CG doctoring on this photo is for the eye color and red hair color. And yes, both have had a small amount of cosmetic surgery done in order to have the full look that they were hoping for, but these are real women. To be honest, I find their transformations kind of amazing. Just their eye makeup alone can take upwards of 20 minutes to complete and that's not even mentioning the rigorous work outs and strict diets they both adhere to to keep their bodies in the perfect shape.

This is the point where a lot of you start asking what this has to do with alternative and underground. Well... everything really. There is so much controversy surrounding these women and those like them that have achieved the look of living dolls. So I have to ask the question, why are people so adverse to these "living dolls" when people like Lizard Man and Tiger Man are more widely accepted?

Seriously, look at these pictures and tell me why these tattooed and modified "freaks" are more accepted than living dolls?


















All of these people are modified to make themselves more comfortable in their own bodies. But even as tattoos and piercings have become more popular and accepted, the modifications that the living dolls undergo still remain a hot topic button. People are constantly preaching that women should feel more comfortable in their bodies or that women should be themselves instead of conforming. Well, what if this is what these women do to make themselves feel comfortable in their own skin and in their hearts they feel like they should be dolls? I feel like I should truly be a cat, how is that any different?

I think part of it comes from the aversion to having women be viewed as objects rather than people. That I fully agree with. But you cannot set the double-standard that one type of modification is accepted and the other one is taboo. Please tell me that someone else sees the total backwards thinking in this?

No comments:

Post a Comment